The Penny Marshall Topic

For talking about the current and past careers of any and all of the actors who have appeared on LAS

Re: The Penny Marshall Topic

Postby Missy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 am

Ee, that's neat!
Your resident big wheel at the brewery.
Missy
Site Admin

Postby RoxyLaTour » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:36 pm

For those in the Pittsburgh area, Penny is appearing at Steel City Con this weekend!
"I'm the queen of fun!"
RoxyLaTour

Postby RoxyLaTour » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:41 am

I met Penny at Steel City Con. Yes, another road trip, but worth it. Penny is... not Cindy. LOL She wasn't mean or rude or anything, she was fine, just not as engaging or warm as Cindy is. She was funny though, I gotta give her that. The con guy was also very deferential and tiptoe-y about not wasting Penny's time-- have questions ready, keep them to the point, wait in a line here, etc, and having been to a few Q & As led by him, this was definitely different. He seemed to want to get her wrapped up quickly, but she took more questions from the floor, so not sure what was going on there. She also complained of a bad back and dry eye, which she said was an oxymoron bc her eyes kept tearing up. She said if you see a tear roll down her face, it's not bc of something you said. Anyway, I don't know if it was a hearing or comprehension thing, or if she just felt like saying what she wanted to say, but she only rarely directly answered something. Asked about her favorite/most fun stunt, she talked about the "stupidest stunt"-- swinging on a rope during a fashion show (Dear Future Model) bc she thought she'd bounce off the wall and failed "I'm not a cartoon!". Asked about what it was like working with Jack and Tony on The Odd Couple, she told the story of how she recruited Jack to play Oscar. Her fave Shotz talent show? She couldn't remember them well, the kid who asked suggested some-- the America one she remembered had a lot of costume changes so not that one and they sang "Rock Around the Clock" in it (nope, but...), then she guessed she liked the puppet one best. When asked how she'd have ended the series, she started talking about why Cindy left (sort of what she wrote in the book), and then when pressed on what she'd write for Laverne she said Shirley'd get pregnant and I'd quit. So there, FWIW. Her fave color is forest green (direct answer!). She was asked about Carmine, and she said Eddie's still out there dancing around, and does shows with Cindy. Said David Lander's wife is coming to stay with her in NY bc her mother is sick in CT. She was asked where Boo Boo Kitty is and she said that was Cindy's thing and then said she thinks Cindy's got it (she does). The L was her idea (story as per book). Yes, she really used to like milk and Pepsi (again, same story). Schlemiel/Schlimazel also from childhood-- didn't know what it meant, but it's just something you did as you went to school, lots of stuff came from her childhood. Her fave project was Awakenings. No answer on whether Dottie threw the game in ALOTO-- eternal mystery as per writer. Used to like being behind the camera better than on camera bc no hair/makeup required, but now they're doing so much behind the scenes taping, it's no different. Anyway, there's probably more, and if I think of it, I'll post, but that's it for now. Hope that quick rundown made sense (I'm tired). It was all fun and very interesting, and I feel like I learned a lot more about Penny's personality than I knew before, so again, worth the trip.
"I'm the queen of fun!"
RoxyLaTour

Postby Missy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I was just about to mention Penny's doing the convention this weekend!

She picked well, the third annual STS was amazing.

Pft, oh Penny. Trying your hardest to spare us from season 8 in the end.

I'll need to scrounge around youtube and see if anything ever surfaces RE a taped Q&A.
Missy
Site Admin

Postby RoxyLaTour » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:24 am

Penny remembers Robin Williams in this lovely New Yorker piece: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/old-gang
"I'm the queen of fun!"
RoxyLaTour

Postby Missy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 am

I loooved that one, though it made me even sadder about Robin's death.
Missy
Site Admin

Postby Missy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:33 am

Penny is Protesting against Wayne State's history of animal testing. Cindy must be rubbing off on her!
Missy
Site Admin

Postby RoxyLaTour » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Kudos to Penny for getting involved. If anyone else wants to get involved, here's a page where you can easily send a letter of protest to the right people at Wayne State: https://secure2.convio.net/pcrm/site/Ad ... ion&id=651
"I'm the queen of fun!"
RoxyLaTour

Postby RoxyLaTour » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:28 pm

On an old news note, I have to say that if you haven't listened to the audiobook of My Mother Was Nuts, you are missing a whole world of information. Penny's reading says so much more than the book itself does. Just listened again and it's amazing.
"I'm the queen of fun!"
RoxyLaTour

Postby Missy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:17 am

Thank you for the link to the charity page!

I kind of need to buy that soon!
Missy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion